Ingredients (serves 6):
- 1 1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1L (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 2 large, ripe avocados, flesh chopped
- 1 cup (240g) creme fraiche or sour cream
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped mint or dill
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Crispy Parma Ham (see recipe)
- Heat 1tbsp. oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add bay leaf and stock, bring to the boil, then cool slightly.
- Add avocado, season, then puree with a stick blender or in a blender until smooth.
- Stir in 3/4 cup creme fraiche, then refrigerate until chilled.
- Add herbs to the soup and stir in lemon juice to taste, then divide among bowls.
- Thin the creme fraiche a little with 2 tsp. warm water. Drizzle over the chilled soup, season and serve topped with crispy Parma.